It can be difficult to balance media use and family time, especially with a demanding work schedule, but it’s important to note that kids learn their screen habits from their parents. Take a look at the article, Be a Role Model: Find a Healthy Balance with Media and Technology, and consider these five tips for managing your own media tendencies:
- Be a role model. Keep phones away from the dinner table, turn the TV off when it’s not being watched, and use a DVR to record shows for later.
- Start good habits early. Establish time limits and hold yourself to them.
- Use media together. Watch, play, and listen with your kids, then talk about the content and how it relates to their lives.
- Keep distractions to a minimum. Hide apps, set your phone to “do not disturb”, or shut your devices down completely.
- Turn off work. Set boundaries for work time so it doesn’t constantly interfere with family time.
To drive home our message of finding a healthy balance with technology, Common Sense has launched a campaign called #realtime to remind parents to unplug for family moments and set a positive example for their kids. Check out the funny, yet all too familiar videos here. You might see yourself in one of these videos!