1. The drought is costing California billions of dollars. In March, Jerry Brown announced $1 billion emergency drought package including funding for: safe drinking water, water recycling, and conservation awareness.
2. Snow on the Sierra Nevada Mountains has fallen to 12% of average levels, from 28% last year in 2014. This not only impacts the ski industry, but of course reservoirs as well.
3. A Field poll released in February showed that 94% of California voters agreed that the drought is “serious”, but only 34% supported mandatory rationing.
4. “Agriculture is responsible for 80-90% of US Water consumption”, “Producing one kilogram of animal protein requires about 100 times more water than producing one kilogram of grain protein.” (USDA, 2013, documentary film Cowspiracy’s fact page).
5. In March, NASA JPL Senior Water scientist Jay Famiglietti said that California has about one year of reservoir storage and the backup supply, groundwater was low.